65 Self-Loving Ways To Improve Your Appearance
Updated on June 7, 2022 by Team ShineSheets
We recommend helpful products in our articles. Read our full disclosure here.
I wanted to celebrate a new topic on this website (talking about beauty improvement!) and nothing seemed like a better idea than this. I rounded up a grandiose list of tips on how to improve your appearance with simple, yet meaningful ideas!
If you want to improve your appearance, please know that there’s nothing “shallow” or “materialistic” in that. Taking care of your looks can greatly improve your confidence, mental health, social anxiety and it’s a wonderful kind of self-care.
I think it’s funny that some people shy away from this kind of improvement like it’s suddenly a sin to want to look better. I mean, why wouldn’t we try to look better? If it makes you happier, how is it wrong to spend time improving your image?
Another wonderful benefit of allocating time for your appearance is because it slowly teaches you to love yourself more. I want to emphasize that if you do it all with hate talk in your head (“why do I even look for a new bra, my breasts don’t look good in any of them”), then it’s NOT self care. It’s a straight textbook example of self-sabotage. You don’t need it! You have a single body to carry you through this life and hating it is almost like attacking the view in the mirror – it barely makes sense.
If you don’t know how to love yourself the way you are, check out this article: How To Feel More Comfortable In Your Own Skin, and then this list will bring a new meaning to your life.
This list is not about improving your looks just for the looks. It’s about the way you can improve your appearance with a self-loving mindset, so you can feel a positive change in your life, self-esteem, and relationship with yourself.
This printable planner can be a useful tool to plan your beauty routines, glow-up goals and self-care rituals. Use this planner, shower yourself with self love, and you’re set to improve your appearance in no time. You can get it here
So, since we’re here for beauty improvement ideas, let’s just dive into the world of self-love and attractiveness!
65 Self-Loving Ideas On How To Improve Your Appearance
1. Buy new clothes in your actual size – not a little smaller so you can “lose weight for this”.
2. Lose weight if you need to, but focus on looking healthy, not skinny.
3. Get your hair done regularly – not only because your roots are showing, but because you deserve to rock the most beautiful hairstyles.
4. Spend more time in fresh air to allow your skin to breathe.
5. Eat more fresh fruits and vegetables, because it helps you glow.
6. Get fit and boost your metabolism with regular exercise because your body loves moving.
7. Use sunscreen every day, because SPF protects your skin and slows its aging.
8. Change your hair color if you feel it would suit your personality better (not because it’s trendy).
9. Invest in high-quality skincare products because they will help you to look better and because your skin deserves the best.
10. Implement natural remedies as well because nature is able to heal your hair, skin, and body.
11. Get enough sleep because it’s the best time for your whole body to restore itself, including your skin, muscles, and hair.
12. Invest in a properly fitting bra, because your breasts look better when they’re comfortable.
13. Walk and stand straight, because not only it looks good – it also protects your spine.
14. Regrow and reshape your eyebrows if you overplucked them – they help your eyes stand out.
15. Rethink your makeup and skip products that you don’t really need. Don’t cover up your beauty – rather enhance your best features.
16. Smile more often because it makes you feel better and helps you look more attractive.
17. Rethink your wardrobe if you think there’s something that could suit you better.
P. S. Need to rediscover your style? I highly recommend this book!
18. Invest in a high-quality purse, jeans, and a few accessories that make you smile when you look at them.
19. Make it a habit to use chapstick every day, because your lips are happier and prettier when they’re not dry.
20. Self-massage your cellulite regularly, because not only will it be less noticeable – it will also help your lymphatic system.
21. Straighten your teeth because it will improve your smile and give you health benefits (correct your bite and + protect your jaw).
22. Drink more water because it hydrates your skin, and helps your body to stay healthy. 8 glasses of water are the most recommended amount for most people.
23. Take care of your nails regularly because they’re your personal accessories, not just some hardened stuff on your fingers.
24. Style your hair to fit your face shape, because every face shape can be complemented by your hair (you can find a ton of ideas on Best Hair Looks).
25. Determine your skin tone so you can dress in colors that make it look even better.
26. Stop packing on several layers of mascara – use just enough to enhance them, with a good quality mascara.
27. Try to not overpower your beauty with too many colors in your clothes, hair, or makeup.
28. If you need to, work on healing your skin conditions (like acne) with quality skin care because it will make your skin pretty and healthy.
29. Give up smoking, because it makes your beauty fade away and tires your chin with every single puff.
30. If you drink alcohol, try to choose antioxidant and vitamin-filled natural ones – like wine or beer. And of course, stay within a healthy amount.
31. Lift weights sometimes (or often if you want to!) because not only will it help you look fit, but it will also make your body stronger. (Here’s how to enjoy working out).
32. Meditate daily, because it lowers your stress hormones and those baddies can make you look tired.
33. Invest in a pair of good shoes that look stylish and are easy on your feet.
34. Keep your hair nourished and healthy with regular deep treatment.
P. S. Have you heard about Olaplex yet?
Olaplex relinks the broken bonds in every type of hair providing real, structural repair that works from within and leaves hair stronger than ever. It became extremely popular when Kim Kardashian mentioned that she’s regularly using it herself. And indeed, Olaplex reviews are still sparkling! I tried it on my own *deeply fried* hair and it worked wonders (I also recommend natural treatment with Argan oil for very dry hair).
35. Observe other people and notice details that look attractive. If you feel that you like it and it would fit you, implement them in your own appearance.
36. Never ever forget about the importance of shower and basic hygiene, which is the foundation of health and good looks.
37. Make sure your clothes are always clean, just because it’s something you put on your body.
38. Spend time looking for perfume scents that fit your personality, make you feel more confident, or more attractive.
39. Exfoliate your face and body with an exfoliating cleanser to help your skin breathe and restore itself. Clearer skin will thank you with a beautiful glow.
40. Be proud of your curves and don’t be afraid to emphasize them – just don’t overdo it.
41. Learn about being and looking elegant. A few simple changes and good posture can help you to feel and look more feminine.
42. Losing a little weight can help your face look more structured and emphasize your features.
43. Do you have a pet? Make hair and lint remover your best friend. Pets are awesome, but pet hair on your clothes is not the way to respect yourself.
44. Whiten your teeth if you want your smile to be even prettier.
45. Tell yourself that you are beautiful every day because you are.
46. Try contact lenses if you feel that glasses overpower your face.
47. If you want to develop a natural sense of style, looking at well-dressing people can be really helpful.
48. If you ever doubt, just remember that less is more when it comes to makeup, clothes, or accessories. Don’t hide under those things.
48. Wash your pillowcases regularly to prevent breakouts and sleep more comfortably.
49. Make sure your hair is always clean and brushed, and that you’re using hair products that your hair loves.
51. Try to eat as healthy and clean as possible – your body needs nutrients to stay healthy, and healthy is pretty.
52. Apply a good eye cream every morning to help your eyes wake up with you, prevent dark circles, and reduce that cute eye puffiness.
53. Carry a rosewater spray in your purse to give your face a healthy boost several times a day. It’s a great moisturizer for dry skin and it can help you to look better.
P. S. Did you know that rose water is a staple in the Korean skincare routine? I mean, our beautiful sisters in Korea definitely know some secrets we don’t have a clue about. Their skin is always flawless!
I have been researching and trying out some of the best Korean anti aging skin care products to check if they’re worth the hype… And I swear – the formulas, textures, and effectiveness of these products are unexplainable. They’re incredibly effective. Thanks, Korea!
54. Removing facial hair and putting on pretty lipstick can improve your appearance and can give a small boost to your confidence. Confidence is sexy!
55. If you don’t know how to dress for your body type, a professional stylist can help you get a hang of it.
56. If you haven’t worked out for a long time, a weight loss coach or a sports trainer can create a program that is optimal for your body.
57. Make it a rule to remove your makeup every single night, because it will help your skin stay clean and healthy.
58. Play with makeup to find out your signature look – the one that fits you perfectly and is suitable for every day.
59. Watch your body language and try to be straight, with an open chest and resting arms – it will show the world that you’re relaxed.
60. Try natural acids (like salicylic acid) to clean up your pores and gently reveal a glowing complexion – it’s patiently hiding under those old skin cells.
61. Massage your body regularly to relax the muscles, improve circulation and skin appearance. Do it with love.
62. Work on preventing wrinkles, fine lines, and other signs of aging while you’re still young.
63. Make it a habit to use a face mask once or a few times a week – both for hydration and for your self-care time.
64. Trim your hair regularly to get rid of split ends – they don’t help your hair anyway.
65. Whatever you do to improve your looks, do it gently, do it with love and self-compassion.
I hope you found at least a few tips on how you can improve your appearance in a loving and caring way. Remember – you have only one body. It doesn’t matter if it’s perfect… It’s always easier to work with it, than against it.
Start your beauty and self love journey today. There’s no reason to spend another day hating the way you look and limiting yourself with negative self talk.
Don’t forget to grab The Glow Up Planner to set your beauty improvement goals and routines:
… And remember that nothing ever changes unless you make an effort to change it.
Like these tips? Scroll down for more!