Glow Up Challenge: How To Glow Up And Become Prettier In One Month
In this post, we may use links to the products we find helpful or cute.
Next season is coming our way faster than I expected. And as long as I can remember, I have always loved having a month of “glow up” time for me in every season.
I used to do it every summer before school, in late autumn before holiday season, then – to get ready for spring or summer. Every time I started my glow up month, it kind of turned everything into meditative time, filled with beauty routines and self-care. Call it a nice way to say goodbye to summer or getting ready for a busy winter… Yes, you can do this glow up challenge AT ANY time of the year!! 🥰
Glow Up Challenge: How To Glow Up In One Month Or Less
ARTICLE TOPICS (feel free to scroll down - the content starts below)
Wait, What Does It Even Mean To Have a Glow Up?
For those unfamiliar with the term “glow up”, here’s how the Urban dictionary describes it:
A Glow Up is a mental, physical, and emotional transformation for the better. Glow Ups can be both natural or planned. As well as being gradual and permanent, or fast and temporary.
What Is the Glow Up Challenge?
The glow up challenge is how I like to call a month where you kind of dedicate a little more time to yourself, focus on improving your wellness, health, and looks in order to look and feel your absolute best. And yes, I know that this month is also one of the busiest for many women… So it’s just another reason to do it.
“Yeah… Wait, what?”
That’s right. The more work or chores you have to do, the more you need your self care. Now that I’m working full-time in my office (and I mean waking up at 6 A.M. and getting back home at 21-22 P.M.), I can feel this very well. Skip your self care for a week or two and you’re starting to look tired, the stress-weight starts to add on + you’re on the way to burnout, which is way harder to recover from than just simple everyday tiredness.
“Ok, but I don’t have time for this. I don’t have time for anything!”
Trust me, you do. This is why it’s so important to learn how to glow up without sabotaging your life – I’m going to show you how! This glow up challenge includes both the activities that require a little more time and also – quite a few that are quick and integrate seamlessly into your everyday life so it won’t take much of your busy schedule. *claps*
And guess what – if you’re super dedicated, you can have a glow up in less than 30 days too – just make sure to always choose what’s good and healthy (we’ll touch this part later).
After doing this glow up challenge, you will:
- Feel physically better, healthier & stronger;
- Probably lose a few pounds, in a 100% healthy way;
- Look better, prettier & glowier;
- Possibly develop new, healthy habits.
And please know that this is not only for your looks! Feeling pretty and “put together” definitely adds a good amount of joyful mood too.
I know that it’s sometimes hard to take care of yourself, especially if you are tired or struggling with bad mood, lack of motivation, anxiety… But sometimes doing a few things for yourself helps to push quite a chunk of these negative feelings away.
This printable planner can be super useful to anyone who’s ready to BLOSSOM like never before! You can use it to set your glow up goals, create beauty routines, track your fitness and most importantly – stay committed to your goal of massively glowing up! Check it out here
Okay, back to the topic! Are you ready??
Here’s how to have a glow up of your life – for beauty, health and wellness!
PART 1: How To Glow Up Your BODY
This part of your glow up challenge is all about getting healthier, a little more fit, and prettier body-wise. I will not be talking about huge body makeovers here because let’s be realistic – those require way more time (if you’re committed to long-term body changes, I highly recommend you to go through my 100 Actions To Get Fit list to prep your mindset). But for a fast body glow up (just fast enough to get you ready, healthy, and a bit more fit for next season), here’s what you can do now:
1. Start Upping Your Water Intake
The reason why I love drinking a lot of water is not just because it keeps you healthy and energetic. It also shows that you’ve been drinking it:
- Staying well hydrated helps your skin to become clearer, prettier, and healthier;
- It helps you to flush out bloatedness that comes with eating too much salt or junk food and not drinking enough water;
- Also, say what you want, but it’s definitely easier to lose those unnecessary pounds when you’re drinking enough H2O.
So make it your glow up step one and start drinking more water today (and this doesn’t take any extra time, ain’t it? 😊)
P. S. Hate plain water? Add some taste with fruits, mint, or cucumber!
View this post on Instagram
💚🍉 Aloha FriYAAY Feels 🍉💚 . These WATERMELON SLUSHIES from @medicalmedium are legit!! And super quick and easy to make. 🙌🏻 Just cut up chunks of watermelon and freeze for at least 2 hours beforehand so you are ready to goooo! . THE DETS:⬇️⬇️⬇️ . 🍉 2 Cups of frozen watermelon . 🍉 2 Cups of fresh watermelon . 🍉 Juice of 1 lime . 🍉 Blend all ingredients and enjoy! . Plus, did ya know❓Melons are super beneficial for helping your liver to function more efficiently. They have the ability to hydrate 💦 and thin out toxic blood, which also helps to cleanse the liver so it doesn’t have to work as hard all the time. Melons can also help flush out 🔁 toxins in the intestinal tract while also rebuilding hydrochloric acid in the stomach.👌🏽Overall, they’re super hydrating for our organs and also taste delish!😋 . Happy Weekending Friends! Xo
If you keep forgetting to stay hydrated, here’s a small cheat. Having a pretty water bottle can also help you to build this healthy habit of drinking water, and it’s also a nice accessory to carry around.
2. Start Eating More Veggies & Fruits
Eating more veggies & fruits is beneficial for us all + it’s a perfect way to lose a few pounds without feeling like you’re dieting. Here’s how to eat more vegetables on your glow up challenge!
- With every meal, opt for a big salad as a side or choose grilled veggies, veggie soups, and stews.
- If you can, make one of your daily meals a veggie-based one.
- Have a fruit smoothie every day (it’s perfect for breakfast!). To make it more filling and satisfying, add a little bit of healthy protein or fat like nuts, peanut butter, chia seeds.
- If it’s hard for you to keep up with this, try focusing more on healthy proteins, like beans, lentils, and chickpeas as they’re just as good for your body too.
Eating this way will boost your metabolism and help you become more fit, improve circulation, and make your skin softer.
When I want to eat healthier, I also use this little mindset hack: imagine that every single veggie or fruit you eat is going to make you prettier and happier. And it’s not imaginary – every healthy food IS actually giving your body nutrients that are necessary for your skin, nails, hair, and cognitive functions.
Other foods that will make your body “glow up”: berries, greek yogurt, lean meats, fish, seafood, various seeds, olive oil, turmeric, ginger, mushrooms, oats, honey.
View this post on Instagram
Saturday lunchtime was a chickpea soup with garlic, rosemary, turmeric, black pepper, lemon and a few of the leftover seitan patty thingies from yesterday; english mustard and cider vinegar dressing on the salad rounded it all off – enjoy your Saturday people! 👍 🌿 😄 😀 🌞 😘 😝 ♥️ 😎 ☯️ 🙃 #vegan #veganfoodshare#veganforlife #instavegan#veganfoodporn#vegancooking#plantbased#fitfood#plantbased #runningonplants #runnersuk #summerfood #instapic#eatyourgreens #twassoupysaturday
Just one thing to remember – all foods have calories. Some have more, some have less, but if you want to lose weight while you glow up, you have to make sure you are not overeating these healthy foods. It is a myth that simply eating healthy is enough to lose weight… It doesn’t work like that unless you’re an athlete.
It always comes down to the calories in and calories out. If you consume fewer calories than your body uses up, you will lose weight. Alternatively, if you consume more than you use up, you will gain weight, even if you’re just eating avocados and healthy energy bites. Keep in mind that starving never works though – if you don’t give enough calories for your body, it will easily convert even zero calorie foods into those cute belly wrinkles. You gotta find that golden balance of keeping your body nourished, but not overnourished.
If you want to find out the number of calories you need + keep track of your daily food consumption, I recommend the MyFitnessPal app – it’s very helpful and accurate!
3. Start Doing a Few Short Workouts Every Day
I know you don’t have time. Or energy. I don’t either (yet!).
But working out is an essential part of “glowing up”. So let’s be smart and make this work, even if you’re super busy. Here’s how to have a glow up for your beautiful body:
- Instead of committing to a long workout once a day, commit to just a few 10-15 minute workouts that you can fit in your schedule whenever you have a small gap in it.
- I personally love doing a short 15-minute workout in the morning and one in the evening. It’s enough to make your body warm, make your heart beat faster and it totals in 30 minutes of exercising every day. On days when I have more spare time, I incorporate even more of these quickies (“that’s what she said” – Michael S.), so I can reap more benefits.
- This method is also great if you’re overweight and it’s hard for you to start with full workouts. Doing a little bit, a few times a day will help your body get gradually stronger and kind of prepare you for bigger workouts later.
- Use some weights! The faster you make your muscles stronger, the sooner you will start burning more calories and it will result in your body getting fitter.
Do you absolutely hate working out? Here’s how to learn to enjoy it!
4. Fancy Some Tan?
A healthy golden glow for me is one of the most important “glow up” tasks. It’s just something about bronzy skin that makes a person look healthier (and did I mention that drastically improves the way your makeup looks?).
View this post on Instagram
Selbstbräuner und weiße Klamotten? Na klar, unsere Purity Serie macht es möglich 👍 📸 @klaudiabadura @jasmindustin #sttropeztan #dark #office #break #summer #selbstbräuner #tan #tanning #beauty #antiaging #hyaluron #skin #skincare #hyaluron #beauty #beautynews #purity #beautyblogger #hyaluron #fresh #extradark #legs #holiday #beach #holiday #purity
When I was a teenager, I used to spend my whole summer tanning on the beach just to get that dark tan before school. I know – unhealthy! I don’t do this anymore.
How to glow up your skin with a nice shade of golden tan and keep your skin healthy while doing that? You will have to choose self-tanner as an alternative. Yes, it requires quite some time to keep up with a good self-tanning routine (most tans need to be “built-up” and they don’t last more than a week), but here’s what you can do to outsmart this!
Recently, I fell in love with this – shall I say – revolutionary self-tanner by St. Tropez:
With this self-tanner, you can skip all those long self-tanner application – waiting – showering routines because this one is used in the shower, for three minutes, and washed off afterward.
Yes!! Now you can shower AND tan at the same time! I couldn’t believe it at first either.
It works just perfectly, the color is nice and natural, no sticky feeling, no streaks, no dreading that your self-tanner will stain your clothes and you can gradually build it up to the color you want. You will still get a little bit of self-tanner smell with it, but I noticed that it’s much less detectable than with other tans.
You can get this tanner in a lighter or darker shade on Amazon:
St. Tropez Gradual Tan In Shower Lotion Golden Glow Medium
ST. TROPEZ Gradual Tan In Shower Lotion Light
And here are some more self-tanner tips: 5 Critical Self Tanner Tips For a Natural Tan All Year Round
PART 2: How To Glow Up Your FACE
This part of your glow up challenge focuses on small beauty improvements that you can do for your face, especially your skin.
1. Let’s Get That Skin Glowing!
I have great news for you here – if you’re already doing the Body part, your face is getting prettier just because of that. Now, to make your face really glow, here’s what you can do:
- Start using gentle exfoliators with acids to shed dead skin cells and reveal new, baby-like skin. My favorite pick here is the Glycolic Acid, which is super effective and gentle enough for any type of skin (just don’t overdo it, once a week is completely enough). You can read my whole Glycolic Acid guide here.
- Start doing face massage with oils every week. I love face massages! They definitely help you get that glowing, healthy, smooth skin. You can choose olive oil, coconut oil (this one is also antibacterial and good for acne skin), but my favorite one is Rose Hip Seed Oil. This oil has practically transformed my skin and I think it’s because it’s high in natural retinol. You can read my review here.
- Start using face masks or face packs every week. Sheet masks work wonders and are not expensive, so what I like to do is just pick a few at the drugstore, preferably the natural ones, and have them ready in case I find a few minutes to relax with a mask on. Masks are concentrated with hydrating and replenishing ingredients so it’s a perfect way to glowy, pretty skin.
- Start using that sunscreen, please! If you’ve been skimping on this, it’s time to create a skincare habit of applying sunblock every morning and reapplying it throughout the day. I know, it’s a messy thing to do, but believe it or not, you will notice positive improvements in your skin as soon as a few weeks after starting (yes, sunscreen is that effective!).
- How to glow up and have a lasting glo up effect at the same time? Get generally better at skincare with this helpful list for good skin!
“Okay, no time for all of this.”
That’s fine, here’s how to make this work on a busy schedule:
- Instead of doing this on separate days, pick one day where you can find 20 minutes for yourself. This is enough to do all these 3 steps together. Exfoliate > Oil Massage > Mask > You’re done in 20 minutes and leave everything else to a healthy diet and working out. Trust me, it’s more effective than you think.
View this post on Instagram
Posted @withrepost • @ioana_cristea Gorgeous @claudiabenu "glamourified" for @nicoleneas new collection campaign. Gorgeous hair by talented @iulianurlan #bridalmakeup #bridalhair #pinkmakeup #bronzymakeup #glammakeup #glowyskin #freshmakeup #modernmakeup #lightmakeup #ioanacristea #glowbeautyschool #eyebrowsonpoint #newbridalmakeup #makeupartist #makeupideas #makeupinspo #makeupinspiration #makeuplooks #hudabeauty #benefitcosmetics #glowingskin #instamakeup #bestmakeup #makeupschool #undiscoveredmakeupartists #makeupartists_worldwide
2. Other Face “Glow Ups”
- Do an eyebrow inspection. Are they even? Are they overplucked or too thin? In that case, consider regrowing them and reshaping them into a more natural, fuller shape. Now, they take some time to grow back, but you can hide it pretty well with good makeup and rock that fuller brow until it actually grows back. Another thing I recommend to do is checking if the eyebrow pencil or shadow you’re using is not too dark for your face.
- Take care of facial hair. Some people love waxing or epilating, but I can’t stand this excruciating pain and opt for a simple feminine facial blade, also called “derma planning razor”. This tool is a very sharp blade (gotta be extra careful with it!) and it removes facial hair just perfectly. You can use it on your upper lip, on your peach fuzz and it leaves your skin extremely smooth. I know what you want to ask… No – your hair does NOT grow back darker! I didn’t notice any change in hair thickness or color at all. You can get one on Amazon here.
- Lip care. Stop living with dry and flaky lips. You probably don’t even know how beautiful your lips are! Try a lip scrub (simple sugar + olive oil works great) and invest in a good, moisturizing lip balm. Just try it and you will be surprised how pretty your lips actually are and how much can they add to your look.
- Teeth. A brighter smile is always attractive, so if you want to glow up, don’t skip this one. You can use baking soda and even activated charcoal to gently remove any teeth stains there are or, if you want a stronger effect, opt for a few rounds of teeth whitening strips. Just as with everything – be gentle, don’t overdo this, you don’t want to sacrifice your teeth just for the whiter color of it. It hurts!
PART 3: How To Glow Up Your HAIR
Let’s admit, our hair plays a significant role in the way we look. How do you glow up your hair? It’s not that hard!
1. Trim The Split Ends.
Do you hate this sentence? 😊 Me too, but those dry ends really don’t make your hair prettier… Trim them. Just do it! Schedule that salon visit, do it, and move on. (Asking your hairdresser to be careful with length also helps…).
2. Renew The Color.
If you are dyeing your hair, renewing the color can feel very refreshing and make a whole difference in the way your hair looks. You don’t have to change your color (unless you want some big changes in your appearance), simply coloring it the same color again will make your hair look healthier, shinier and the color more vibrant.
3. Explore New Hair Style Ideas
If it’s been a long time since you’ve changed your hairstyle overall, now is the perfect time to dive on the internet and see what’s new! There are so many new hairstyle ideas you can try, even without changing color or hair length if you don’t want to. If you trust your hairstylist, you can ask for his / her opinion of what could fit you and look stylish every day.
4. Heal Your Hair
Summer sun, hair dyes, cheap products are hard on your hair, so if you want to glow up your beautiful tresses, I highly recommend investing in a few quality products to heal whatever hair damage you have. Now here’s the secret – it doesn’t have to be expensive. I’ve completely healed my hair with natural remedies once, but this requires more time and patience. If you want to heal your hair fast and skip the whole searching-for-good-products part, try out my favorite brand – Giovanni:
These products are extremely powerful and they can heal dry and damaged hair in just a few uses, making your hair EXTREMELY soft, shiny and healthy. This brand is my absolute favorite when it comes to hair and I haven’t found anything else so effective yet. In fact, this particular Brazilian Keratin line is always sold out where I live so it just shows how good these products are (and it’s also a little annoying, to be honest!). You can get these on Amazon by clicking the links above 😉
P. S. This is not a sponsored post and all the recommendations are based on my real experience. Here’s what I use for my hair right now (should I make a review?).
PART 4 : How To Glow Up Your NAILS
I wish I could have long nails… I kind of go crazy for forms and colors like these:
View this post on Instagram
But it’s impossible to rock these when I’m clapping on my keyboard 24/7. However, keeping nails pretty and tidy, even if they’re not long, is just a must in any glow up challenge – no matter what your work is. It’s a sign of good personal hygiene and also – a pretty important part of your glow up plan.
If you don’t like long nails, shorter ones can look just as good!
Now, this one is pretty simple. Decide on how you’re going to keep your hand and feet nails pretty – and make that happen! You can do it at home, or the salon, or maybe your friend is an aspiring nail artist (call her now!!) – just keep those nails, cuticles, and toenails tidy. It will also play a huge part in your daily mood.
PART 5: How To Glow Up From THE INSIDE
Now, what a glow up challenge without a beautiful change in your mind and thoughts too, right? It’s not enough to improve the way you look! One of the biggest changes happen within! Sounds tricky? It’s not! Here’s how to have a glow up for your inner world, while you enjoy your outer appearance getting prettier and healthier with every day.
1. Flush Out Toxic Thoughts (And People!)
If you’ve been saying mean things to yourself up until now, with this glow up challenge, make a pact with yourself to never do it again. Let it all go! Flush those thoughts out. Instead, start thinking beautiful and encouraging things. Start loving yourself, and your body, and every single cell of yours because this is you – and you deserve love. Whenever you feel a negative thought coming up, change it to something more helpful, more encouraging, more supportive. It’s time to finally love yourself.
If you happen to have a lot of toxic people in your life too, let them go, if possible! Any negativity now will only dampen your mood, which is completely unnecessary. Surround yourself with people who support you, love you, and lift you up instead of bringing you down.
2. Start Practicing Self Love
Once you said goodbye to negative self-talk and self-criticism, allow real self-love to pour into your life! Enhance your glow up time with beautiful self-love and self-care activities that help you to calm down, slow down, appreciate the present moment, and be grateful for what you are and what you have now. Out of ideas? Here’s some help!
3. Get Inspired And Empowered
How do you glow up from within, if you lack confidence? You do that by giving a boost to your motivation, mindset, and by creating a new, powerful girl attitude for yourself! I might be one of those few (almost extinct!) people who believe that it’s totally okay to be a girl with an attitude. I honestly think that the right attitude is important for your confidence -that’s how you protect yourself, and advance in life!
Now, one of the best ways to glow up your attitude is by reading inspiring quotes (yes, I know it sounds funny)! I happen to have a gorgeous, huge collection of greatly empowering attitude quotes for girls, that can help you with this glow up step! Do check them out – I promise you won’t regret reading them.
4. Create a New Set Of Rules For Yourself
To completely glow up your inner world, go ahead and review your life goals and lady rules you’re living by. Create life rules that speak happiness, kindness, self-respect, and appreciation. Do you have no idea where to start? No problem! Here are a few articles that can help you to create high-class lady manners, build a positive, goal oriented, helpful and kind mindset + go through life with a glowing smile.
Here’s how to glow up your lifestyle!
Finally! THE BOTTOM LINE of How To Glow Up
As with everything, there’s always an option to do more… I didn’t want this glow up challenge to feel overwhelming so I focused on what’s most important. Feel free to add more ideas to your plan.
(And don’t forget to grab that glow up planner I mentioned at the beginning!)
I hope this challenge will help you to glow up before the next season, or whenever you want to boost your appearance! Let me know your thoughts at the bottom of this page.
P. S. Get more beauty improvement tips and ideas on how to glow up right here!