Are you tired of your skin acting up? Then it’s a perfect time to up your skincare game and finally achieve that stunning, youthful, even skin you’ve always dreamed of. Don’t know where to start? I might have something for you to grasp on.
For most of my life, my skin was good. By saying good I’m not stating that it was perfect – I have a few never-going-away dry patches and I used to experience bursts of breakouts, but they were mostly related to poor diet and stress.
Now, I know one could say sarcastically…
“Oh wow, I’m so happy that you were blessed with good genes, Amber. So happy to hear that your skin rarely acts up. Thanks”
… but in reality, having good skin really takes work and it’s not something you just “have” (unless you’re REALLY lucky). You have to take care of your skin well, so it can then make you look like you have good genes. This is what I did and oday I want to tell you how.
To take the best care of your skin takes a little bit of investment in good skin care products and knowing a few helpful basics as well. This list is just what you need to memorize and do in order to achieve that always glowing, healthy and even skin. Try it out!
25 Simple Things To Do For Stunning Skin
1. Cleansing in the morning and evening is a must ( + going to sleep without removing your makeup is a huge no-no!).
2. Moisturize religiously, every single day. It’s the most important thing for beautiful skin. Look for products with hyaluronic acid, glycerin, ceramides, emollients.
3. Nourish at night with products that help your skin heal and restore. Look for products that include: peptides, antioxidants, retinoids (vitamin A), nourishing oils (olive / avocado / jojoba / argan / shea or cocoa butters).
4. Do an oil cleanse once in a while. The simplest way to do it is to clean your face as you always do, then spend 10-15 minutes massaging your skin with the oil of your choice, in circular motions. Once you’re done, take a clean hand towel, dampen it with warm (even slightly hot) water and gently remove the oily residue from your face.
5. Apply serums daily. Invest in a good serum with a specific function and use it every day before applying your face cream. Once you finish one serum, pick another that targets another skincare problem to help your skin heal in many different ways.
6. Use face masks once/twice a week. Various face masks can give your skin an extra boost and offer a quick fix for things like dryness, tired or dull-looking skin, too much shyness or irritation.
7. Visit a dermatologist when needed. If you feel confused with your skin and all the skincare options available out there, it never hurts to consult a professional who can help you guide in the right direction.
8. Treat spots as soon as they pop up. As soon as you see a pimple or zit coming up, apply an antibacterial spot treatment to prevent it from growing and getting infected. Look for products that contain tea tree oil, salicylic acid, vitamin C, benzoyl peroxid or kaolin clay.
9. Never squeeze blemishes and pimples. Touching, squeezing, “trying to pop it out” usually just get things worse and can also leave you with scars and pigmentation that is quite hard to get rid of. Instead of touching, apply a spot treatment or concealer that has anti-acne ingredients.
10. Use SPF protection daily. This is a must even in winter. Sun rays are very harmful to our skin and not only can they age your skin faster… They can also cause skin cancer. To prevent that, simply use SPF cream or lotion every day and reapply every 3-4 hours if you can. You can also find poweder foundations that contain SPF in it.
11. Steam your face once in a while. Steaming allows your pores to open up, so it becomes easier to deep clean your skin + all your serums, masks and creams absorb a lot better. It’s a great part of at-home facial and is recommended once a week for most skin types.
12. Exfoliate your skin – gently and regularly. Depending on your skin type, you may want to do this more or less often, but every skin type benefits from exfoliation. To keep it gentle, look for non-mechanic exfoliators that contain low(!) concentrations of glycolic acid, lactic acid or AHA acids.
13. Incorporate oils in your skincare. Don’t be afraid to use oils, even if you have acne-prone skin. Oils are extremely rich in nutrients, moisturizers, and antioxidants and can offer great value to any skin type.
14. Massage your skin when you apply skincare. Massaging your skin improves circulation, elasticity and helps prevent sagging. Just remember to do it gently and it’s always a great idea to watch a few videos of professional face massage to know the best moves.
15. Sleep mostly on your back. This may not be for everyone, but if you can control it, sleeping on your back is the best position to sleep if you want to protect your skin. Sleeping on your side, or even on your face can promote the formation of wrinkles and saggy skin.
16. Try not to frown too much. Doing a lot of facial expressions eventually leads to smile wrinkles, forehead wrinkles, and similar wrinkly stuff. To prevent that, try to keep your face relaxed and naturally resting whenever it’s possible.
17. Use silk or satin pillows. Silk pillows are wonderful for your skin, especially if it’s sensitive. Silk is a natural and very soft material, therefore your skin gets less irritated at night.
18. Use a humidifier at night (and day if you can!). One of the fastest ways to lose a ton of moisture in your skin is sitting in a heavily heated area. Sun heat in summer and heaters in winter do exactly that. To keep your skin happy and moisture-rich, use a humidifier. Your nose will thank you as well!
19. Protect your skin from cold, rain and winds. Environmental factors can be just as damaging to your skin as pollution. In colder months, protect your skin by choosing thicker products and consider using both liquid foundation and powder foundation to create a sort of “blanket” for your skin (try to keep it natural-looking though!).
20. Drink a lot of water, every day. It’s hard o keep your skin moist and supple if it’s not hydrated internally. Sip on H2O throughout the day to keep your skin happy and healthy.
21. Eat a healthy, clean diet. The fastest way to blemishes, acne and dull-looking skin is bad diet, filled with processed foods, trans-fats, and way too much sugar. On the other hand, eating a healthy and clean diet helps your skin detox, regulates the sebum production, feeds the skin and accelerates regeneration.
22. Exercise regularly. Sometimes our skin breaks out because our body is having a hard time getting rid of various toxins. Excercising is a perfect way to help your body because you’re sweating a lot of those toxins out with sweat. Bonus benefits – it makes your body look and feel better!
23. Sleep enough (or more if you can!). Beauty sleep is not a myth. Our skin regenerates faster in our sleep and starts to look tired when you don’t sleep enough. Get your sleep hours in for great looking skin.
24. Clean your makeup brushes regularly. Another common reason for breakouts, irritation, skin allergies, and clogged pores – dirty makeup brushes. Make sure to clean them regularly (here’s how to deep clean even the dirtiest makeup brushes).
25. Choose products that are right for your skin type. If your skin is dry, but you’re using products formulated for oily skin, it just increases the dryness. Always choose appropriate products for your skin and test it for a few days / weeks before deciding if it’s good for your skin.
And that’s it! Following these simple rules will help you have the best skin ever. And even if you still struggle after following these tips for a few months, then definitely don’t wait and head to your dermatologist. Sometimes our skin problems can be caused by resistant bacteria or hormone imbalance – both not that hard to fix, but must be diagnosed by a doctor.
Scroll down for more tips!