69 Ways To Be Happier (Starting Today)
Ads and affiliate links help us run this site and show you the products we find helpful. You may find them in this post content.
When pessimistic outlook becomes an everyday friend, it can easily become a habit to stay in that mood for a looong time. And while life can indeed get hard sometimes… When you think well, there’s gotta be more to life than just a miserable existance.
Some people can stay optimistic and joyful all the time – and cheers to them! Do you want to know how they do that? What’s their super effective happiness secret? Well, I gotta disappoint you… Because there is none. There are simply particular habits, specific thinking patterns, and actions that help those people to live on a more optimistic side of life.
“Yeah, sure. You must be talking about those rich people who don’t have any problems in their life at all. I have REAL problems and my reasons to be sad all the time are LEGIT.”
There is some truth in these words! Money can make life easier, for sure. But don’t be fooled thinking that rich people don’t have any problems. Trust me, they do and their problems can even be more serious than yours or mine (for example, rich people are especially susceptable to kidnapping or getting shot).
And even if we put money aside… There are millions of people who have suffered a hard life and debilitating problems. Yet when asked if they are happy, they say “YES!”, because their happiness is not tied to their life situations and events. Their happiness is right there in their heart and they don’t need to have A X or Z to feel it.
So here’s a list of 69 ways to be happier – starting today! Try implementing at least a few of these tips into your life and watch your mood improving.
P. S. While going through these tips, look for purple links! These contain a related article that explains how to do something (in depth), OR leads to one of my helpful printable tools that help you shape your mindset with fun journaling exercises.
So… Are you ready for this? 😊
69 Ways To Be Happier (Starting Today)
1. Notice small, beautiful things.
2. Define your „WHY“ – the main reason to go forward in your life.
3. Delete negative songs from your playlist.
4. Let go of all the anger and grudges.
5. Spend more time in the sunshine.
6. Practice empathy daily.
8. Try to get enough sleep every day.
9. Help others whenever you can.
11. Fall in love with a healthy diet.
12. Start exercising regularly.
13. Say „YES“ to new experiences and places.
14. Try to be more social and spend more time with people you like.
15. Embrace every challenge as a way to become stronger.
17. Stop chasing temporary „highs“ and allow yourself to be happy here and now.
18. Go through your happiest memories.
19. … Then create new, even happier ones.
20. Have meaningful conversations.
21. Be generous.
22. Always set a clear plan of what to do next.
25. Strive to be kind to others, but don‘t feel disappointed when others don‘t.
26. Set daily reminders with positive affirmations.
28. Pay more attention to what is good than to what‘s bad.
29. Gently push yourself to be more spontaneous.
31. Imagine the life you want and make a plan to achieve it.
32. Be yourself.
33. Stop expecting to be liked, accepted and noticed by everyone.
34. Define what happiness means to you.
35. Hold yourself accountable and do what needs to be done (to prevent unnecessary stress).
36. Let go of perfectionism. Perfect does not exist!
37. Stay well hydrated.
P. S. Having a pretty water bottle can really help you to build this healthy habit.
38. Try to eliminate blaming, complaining and judging from your life.
39. Meditate and have a few „deep breathing“ breaks throughout your day.
40. Spend more time outside (especially in the nature).
43. Stop thinking that you MUST be cheerful and joyful every single day.
44. Watch funny videos, movies, vines, music videos – anything with a sprinkle of fun, positive sarcasm or satire.
45. Spend your money on experiences, not things.
46. … Or spend your money on others.
47. Fake that smile if you need to – sometimes it works and you start to mean it.
48. Give compliments like candies.
49. Make genuine effort to be happier (you‘re the only one who can do this).
50. Create a happiness ritual and do it every day. (Need an example? Try drinking a glass of wine and blasting your favorite music through the headphones.)
51. If it‘s possible, cut down on work and delegate some chores.
52. Have more sex (I mean… SCIENCE says it reduces stress. We have to listen to science!😊).
53. Look at funny cat & dog pics or videos.
54. Shake a little, relax your body and stop taking everything and everyone so seriously.
57. Have a „disconnect day“ every week to rest without your phone, computer, and internet (I promise, you won’t die without it!).
59. If nothing helps, consider talking to a therapist.
60. Enthusiastically learn new things.
61. Stop comparing yourself to others.
62. Read something positive and enjoyable every day.
63. Practice positive thinking (you can use my printable Positivity Journal which works just perfectly for that).
64. If you can, buy things that make you happy.
65. Learn to say NO when it‘s needed.
66. Do some fun and childish activities like painting coloring books, playing with water guns, putting together a puzzle… Allow yourself to be playful.
67. Limit the amount of news you watch or read daily.
68. Before sleep, think about 3 good things that happened today.
69. MAKE A CHOICE to be happy. Starting today.
And congratz! You made it to the end. Now pick a few from this list and start doing them daily (or do them all if you like!).
… Remember that happiness is a choice. Not an easy one… But it’s also the most important one. Good luck.