Turmeric Benefits For Skin + 5 Turmeric Face Mask Recipes To Try
In this post, we may use links to the products we find helpful or cute.
Turmeric is an ancient spice that has been used as a beauty remedy in India for hundreds of years. It is considered so effective that brides in India are covered with a paste called ‘Ubtan’, made of turmeric, gram flour and rose water to make them look radiant and glowing on their big day. Recently, this magical ingredient has made its way to the west, and it has become quite popular due to its numerous benefits!
Turmeric For Skin: Why +How
Turmeric Benefits For Skin
Turmeric has anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant and anti-microbial properties which makes it a perfect addition to any skincare routine. It helps reduce acne scars, evens out the skin tone and fights those pesky bacteria that are responsible for acne and breakouts.
The soothing and anti-inflammatory properties of turmeric make it a wonderful remedy for psoriasis, and you can even use it to reduce facial hair!
Turmeric is a versatile ingredient, and it can cater to different target areas when mixed with suitable ingredients. You can mix it with apple cider vinegar, milk or honey to reap its countless benefits. To simplify things, I want to take you through some of the ways turmeric can help your skin, and give you a few recipes for simple, homemade masks that you can try right away!
5 Turmeric Face Mask Recipes For Drastically Better Skin
1) Turmeric face mask to fight acne
Turmeric has anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial properties, and both of these work to eliminate acne so that you can achieve clearer skin. Not only does turmeric fight active breakouts, but it also helps to fade any acne scars that may remind you of your hormonal teenage years. To use turmeric as an anti-acne agent, it is best to combine it with a soothing ingredient like honey that will calm down the skin. Try out this simple face mask:
- Mix one teaspoon of turmeric with a tablespoon of raw, organic honey until a thick paste is formed.
- Apply it to your skin in an even layer and let it dry for 15-20 minutes.
- Rinse your face with lukewarm water.
2) Turmeric face mask to soothe down red, congested skin
If you suffer from sensitive skin that is prone to blemishes and redness, turmeric’s anti-inflammatory properties can work wonders for you. It also helps alleviate rosacea and eczema, and all you need is a few simple ingredients to make an amazing DIY mask:
- Take 2 tablespoons of sandalwood powder, half a teaspoon ground turmeric and 2 tablespoons of pure rose water.
- Form a paste and apply it to your face, rinsing it off after 15 minutes.
3) Turmeric face mask to brighten the under-eye area
Most of us have dark circles and puffiness under our eyes due to lack of sleep or hours of binging Netflix (guilty!). Luckily, turmeric can rescue you here due to its natural skin brightening properties. Just quickly whip up this simple mask!
- Mix 2 teaspoons yogurt (curd) with a teaspoon of turmeric. You can add a few drops of lemon juice for additional benefits.
- Apply to the under-eye area, carefully avoiding the eyes, and let sit for 5-10 minutes before you wash it off.
4) Turmeric face mask to remove the signs of sun damage
Whenever we go in the sun without adequate sun protection, the UV radiations wreak havoc on our skin. These harmful radiations can cause hyperpigmentation, fine lines, wrinkles, and even skin cancer. Turmeric has anti-oxidant properties that help to counter the free radical damage caused by these rays. It also regulates the activity of an enzyme called elastase, which destroys elastic tissue in our skin, resulting in the dreaded wrinkles and sagging.
You can make this sleep mask to help overcome signs of sun damage:
- Mix 2 tablespoon Aloe Vera gel, a few drops of argan oil and 4 drops of turmeric essential oil.
- Apply this at bedtime and rinse it off in the morning.
5) Turmeric face mask to reduce facial hair
It has been studied that turmeric can reduce the growth of unwanted hair when applied for a long period. And the less hair on your face, the smoother your skin looks! This recipe will slow down facial hair growth over time:
- Mix 2 tablespoon cold milk, 2 tablespoon gram flour, and a teaspoon of turmeric to form a paste.
- Apply it to the face and let it dry and crumble, for about 20 minutes.
- Wash with warm water.
And that’s it! There are TONS of turmeric benefits for skin and it’s simply a wonderful spice for many skin problems. I hope these turmeric face mask recipes will prove useful for you – find one that fits right for your skin, use it regularly and enjoy those powerful antioxidants! Just a quick tip – turmeric does stain clothes, so be extra careful when applying it. Other than that – it’s perfectly safe to use!
P. S. Scroll down for more beauty tips!