How To Get Rid Of Blackheads And Keep Them At Bay
Updated on August 6, 2020 by Amber & The Team
In this post we might recommend products that we find helpful or cute. Read our full disclosure here.
IN THIS ARTICLE:
Blackheads are one of the most annoying skin problems. You might have a smooth and clear complexion from a distance, but up close, the unwanted blackheads pop-up and ruin all those efforts to look perfect… Unlike other types of acne, these spots are quite persistent and can turn out to be difficult to deal with. Read on to find out what are blackheads and how to get rid of blackheads with a little bit of patience and proper care.
Get Rid Of Blackheads And Keep Them At Bay: Mini Guide
What are blackheads?
Blackheads appear when a pore gets clogged with dead skin cells and oil. Moreover, this area gets oxidized when exposed to air, leading to a common blackhead. This can also happen when sebum, makeup or any other debris build-up within your pores.
How to get rid of blackheads
1) Adopt a proper face cleaning routine
Even though this might feel like a common-sense rule, it is important to deep clean your face both in the morning and in the evening. By doing so, dirt or oil won’t gather in your pores and the possibility to develop blackheads will be greatly diminished.
To get rid of blackheads, opt for a cleanser that is designed for mixed skin types because it will both manage the bacteria on your skin and promote a healthy-looking complexion. A little bit of gentle acid, like glycolic acid or salicylic acid, works wonders on getting rid of blackheads, so look for cleansers that have these ingredients included.
2) How to get rid of blackheads on your nose? Try pore strips!
A pore strip is probably the best blackhead invention ever. With this adhesive tape, you can pull away those small blackheads on your nose, chin, or forehead easily. Yet, keep in mind that these strips are effective only for newer blackheads and have little to no effect for those that had been around for a long time.
3) Exfoliate your skin twice a week
To get rid of blackheads faster, try using a gentle skin exfoliant twice a week. It is a great way to remove blackheads and prevent them from reoccurring. Moreover, an exfoliator can prevent your pores from getting clogged and nourish them for a better-looking complexion. Keep in mind that you need to moisturize your face after exfoliation, as dry skin can boost sebum production, which in turn leads to even more blackheads.
4) Use a clay mask
If you want to get rid of blackheads, a clay mask is absolutely the best solution for you! Clay masks can pull out all the dirt that might be present on your skin. All you need to do is allow it to work for up to 15 minutes and rinse it.
An alternative to clay masks is the charcoal mask. Charcoal is also known for its in-depth cleaning properties, but it can also act as an anti-inflammation agent. Both clay and charcoal can deal with blackheads, remove them and prevent them from reappearing.
5) Choose non-comedogenic products
No matter if we are talking about make-up, sunscreen, hair products, or face creams if you want to get rid of blackheads you should always look for products that are labeled as non-comedogenic. Otherwise, the same skincare items can worsen your blackhead condition and clog your pores even more.
How to get rid of blackheads at home
You might have some blackhead-busting ingredients in your kitchen as well! Here are a few worth trying:
- Honey is quite effective in removing blackheads + it can moisturize and soothe your skin. Apply raw honey on a clean face and allow it to sit for up to 20 minutes. Rinse it with lukewarm water, apply a non-comedogenic toner and enjoy your clearer skin! Honey can be used daily on your skin, as it does not worsen any pre-existing blackheads.
- Another natural remedy for blackheads is lemon juice. Due to its astringent and brightening properties, lemon juice can remove dead skin cells, including the build-up in your pores (yes – blackheads!). To get rid of blackheads, use a cotton cloth to apply fresh lemon juice on clean skin, with a focus on your nose, chin and forehead. Allow it to work on your skin for 20 minutes and rinse it with warm water. Don’t forget to apply a moisturizer, as lemon juice can be a little drying on your skin.
- Apple cider vinegar can also be effective in getting rid of blackheads. It can break down the build-up in pores and prevent new blackheads from occurring. Because of its antibacterial properties, it can manage issues related to the sebum production, while keeping your skin pH levels balanced. You can apply it directly on your blackheads with a cotton ball.
How to get rid of blackheads if nothing else helps
For those that have persistent blackhead problems, it might be a great idea to consider going to professional face treatment. Chemical peels or laser treatments can eliminate stubborn blackheads extremely well. Moreover, other benefits of a professional skin treatment include reduced skin pigmentation and a smoother complexion, so it’s worth giving a try!
– – –
Blackheads are probably the most recurrent skin issue worldwide and they have a pretty disgusting name, don’t they? 🙂 However, with a bit of attention to details and proper skincare products, you can both get rid of blackheads and keep your skin clear because with regular attention they will simply be kept at bay.
Like these tips? Scroll down for more!