How To Have a Wonderful Wellness Day At Home
ShineSheets is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our website, we may earn an affiliate commision at no extra cost to you. Read our full disclosure.
Did you know that cells in our bodies are constantly replacing themselves? Just for example, it takes 2-9 days for cells in your stomach to turn over and 10 to 30 days for your skin cells to be replaced with new cells.
It’s like we’re on a never-ending cycle of cell death and restoration, and if you asked me what I think about it… This is incredible and our bodies are real masterpieces of life, self-healing, and restoration.
This is why I fell in love with the idea of the Wellness Day.
IN THIS ARTICLE...
What Is a Wellness Day
You might have heard about it from your workplace, as more and more companies are starting to incorporate a wellness day for their workers (which is great!).
However, a wellness day I’m going to tell you about is something you can do at home on your free time and:
- Improve your health;
- Restore your energy;
- Help your body heal;
- Flush out toxins;
- Relieve stress;
- Feel better.
A perfect wellness day is full of healthy, restorative activities that are simple, easy, yet very helpful for anyone who wants to become or stay healthy, or recover after a physical or emotional trauma.
This is just a thought, of course, but I think having such a day can help those beautiful cells in your body to recover even faster and easier.
It can help you flourish.
When Do You Need a Wellness Day
Having a wellness day is something to consider if:
- You’ve been getting sick more often lately;
- You’re interested in your health and simple ways to improve it;
- You’re looking for ways to heal or recover faster;
- You’re looking for ways to include more self-care in your life, but don’t have a lot of time to do it daily;
- You want to spend quality, productive time alone;
- You want to help your body lose unnecessary weight.
These are just a few beautiful reasons to have a Wellness Day and you can also do it with your loved ones (it can easily become a family tradition!).
So, if you’re up for positive and healthy ways to spend a day… Here’s what it’s all about.
How To Have a Wonderful “Wellness Day” At Home
The great thing about wellness day is that it doesn’t have to be complicated or hard to do. Au contraire, it’s actually a very simple, nourishing, rejuvenating day so you can allow yourself to be slow.
The main wellness day idea is to spend your day doing activities that are helpful for your health and can improve your wellness. Let’s take a look at how you can prepare for this day and the actual activities you can do on your own wellness day.
1) How To Prepare For a Wellness Day
There are a few things you can get for your wellness day to make things easier for yourself and avoid unnecessary shopping trips:
- Healthy food ingredients like various colorful vegetables, fruits, healthy fats (nuts, unrefined healthy oils), lean proteins (chicken, fish, beans or chickpeas) and probiotic-rich foods like greek yogurt, kimchi or kombucha.
- A pack of detoxifying bath salts or essential oils for a steamy aromatic shower.
- A sea salt body scrub or salt and coconut oil for a DIY version.
This is optional, but I find that my own wellness day feels more pleasurable if my home is squeaky clean and organized and there are no eye-stabbing chores that can prevent me from full relaxation.
2) Pick Your Wellness Day Ideas & Activities
Here’s a simple list of wonderful health improvement activities to do on wellness day. Pick a few or do them all – it’s up to you! Just do what feels good for you and your body.
1. On your wellness day, sleep a little longer.
Simply allowing yourself to catch up on those lost sleep hours can help your body to feel better. Our bodies regenerate the most when we sleep, so restoring a healthy sleep schedule is a key to better health and wellness. Sleep a little longer today, and go to sleep earlier as well.
2. Have a nutritious, healthy breakfast with the biggest part of your meal being veggies and fruits.
The breakfast is very important on your wellness day since you want to give your body healthy nutrients without making yourself feel stuffed.
Anything filled with veggies and fruits will help you start your wellness day right. My favorite breakfast choice on a wellness day is a fruit salad with healthy whole grain (like barley) and a cup of green tea.
3. Spend an hour in your balcony, slowly breathing the fresh air in (if you don’t have a balcony, simply sit near an open window).
Stepping outside is great, of course, but if you can’t or don’t want to go for a walk, just sitting in your balcony is great. If the air around your home is mostly clean, sit in the fresh air and slowly breath the air in and out. This will fill every cell of your body with oxygen.
4. Spend an hour doing a fun, workout-type activity (like yoga, tai-chi, aerobics or anything else you like).
A wellness day must include a workout. Shorter or longer, it’s up to you, just make sure to do it as it will have a real impact on your health.
Listen to your body and choose exercise activity that feels just right today. If you’re not feeling strong enough for a full-body workout, just do a seated workout. It’s totally fine to not push yourself too hard today.
5. Have a detoxifying bath or SPA shower.
… And incorporate a nice scrubbing with a sea salt scrub. Sea salt is a wonderful choice when it comes to removing dead skin cells, improving circulation and cell regeneration, so scrub the stress away and enjoy!
6. Allow yourself to relax fully – lay on your bed, be lazy, read a book or watch TV for a while.
Proper relaxation and simply allowing your body to use the energy it needs for healing, is also a part of wellness day activities. Try not to think about your work or tasks, ALLOW yourself to relax and simply let your body rest for a while – it will allow those millions of cells in your body do their job.
8. Have a healthy green smoothie for a snack.
If you’re usually too busy to whip up healthy, green smoothies, a wellness day is a perfect day to catch up and fill your body with the goodness of veggies and fruits. For a simple, clean and nutritious green smoothie, blend a banana, spinach and various fruits + nuts. My favorite combo is banana, spinach, melon, chia seeds, and cashew nuts. Yum!
If you’re not a fan of smoothies, snack on probiotic-rich goodies like greek yogurt or kimchi. Anything fermented is wonderful for your body! The healthy bacteria in fermented foods are also an essential part of your immune system so try to eat them on your other days as well.
9. Drink 1.5-2 liters of water throughout your wellness day.
Flush your body out by drinking more water. You don’t need to go overboard with this, just make sure to drink 1.5-2 liters of plain clean H2O to properly hydrate yourself.
Water is essential for all the cells in your body so staying properly hydrated will help your cells to renew themselves easier.
Believe it or not, meditation is even more effective for your physical and mental wellness than a week of vacation! (source)
It might be hard to do it on your own if you never tried it… So I suggest finding a guided meditation on Youtube and simply follow the narrators’ voice.
I highly recommend my favorite meditation guru Jason Stephenson because his voice is extremely soothing and his guided visualizations are just perfect. Just follow his voice and he will guide you through the whole meditative visualization journey.
3) Optional Wellness Day Activities
Those above are the main wellness day activities I recommend. However, if you have time + budget and wish to step out your do for more health improvement, here are a few other ideas on what you can do on your wellness day:
- Get a full-body massage;
- Visit a sauna;
- Have a glass of red wine with your dinner (just stay with no more than a glass, otherwise health-boosting benefits of red wine are outweighed);
- Have a few pieces of dark chocolate (the bigger the cocoa percentage, the better!);
- Read a wellness or self-care book.
- Plan your wellness routines (here’s a tool that can help you with that):
- Get a flu shot.
- Buy a few air-cleaning plants for your home.
- Light up a natural lavender candle.
And that’s it! After having your wellness day, you should feel refreshed and rejuvenated, but the biggest effect can be felt the next day after you wake up. You should feel lighter, more energetic, your digestion should feel improved and mood brightened up.
I hope you will try this wellness day idea and it will become your favorite healthy habit, just as it became to me. It’s important – and actually fun – to help those cells in your body to replace themselves easier.
Like these tips? Scroll down for more!