Is Juvederm Better than Botox?
Updated on March 28, 2022 by Team ShineSheets
We recommend helpful products in our articles. Read our full disclosure here.
We bet every person would like to stay young and delay the appearance of wrinkles for as long as possible. Luckily, such cosmetic procedures as injections of dermal fillers (for instance, Juvederm) or botulinum toxins (for instance, Botox) might substantially prolong your youthful appearance!
Both Juvederm and Botox are brands of cosmetic injectables that are applied to take care of various signs of aging, such as folds, lines, wrinkles, and other skin depressions. However, which one is more advantageous? Is Juvederm better than Botox or vice versa? Let’s figure it out together.
A spoiler: In the information below, you will not find any concrete answer to the question of what is better, Botox or Juvederm. The main reason for it is that the choice of the preferrable product is highly individual and strongly depends on your personal skin type, age, and desired results.
A Few Words on Juvederm and Botox
In order to compare and contrast Juvederm and Botox, let us take a closer look at the peculiarities of each brand.
What Are Juvederm Dermal Fillers?
Juvederm is a world-known brand of safe, effective, and long-lasting dermal fillers. It is manufactured by the global pharmaceutical company Allergan.
All dermal fillers in the Juvederm family are based on hyaluronic acid. While being a naturally occurring substance, it has the power to:
- Smooth skin depressions (primarily facial wrinkles);
- Volumize and tighten skin tissues;
- Plump lips;
- Accelerate natural collagen and elastin production;
- Hydrate skin layers.
The Juvederm product line consists of several dermal fillers, such as:
- Juvederm Ultra;
- Juvederm Volbella;
- Juvederm Vollure;
- Juvederm Voluma;
Each above-mentioned dermal filler has its own peculiarities and indications. For instance, while Juvéderm Ultra efficiently reduces facial lines and wrinkles, Juvéderm Volbella does a great job when it comes to lip augmentation and reduction of lip lines.
Juvéderm fillers are manufactured with the help of two advanced technologies, namely 3D Matrix and Vycross. They both guarantee the high effectiveness, plasticity, and durability of each Juvéderm filler (no matter whether we are talking about Juvéderm Ultra XC or Juvéderm Voluma).
Juvederm dermal fillers are intended for professional usage. Thus, you will have to find a certified health practitioner who will buy Juvederm online and perform the treatment for you.
What Is Botox?
Botox, in its turn, is another famous brand that is manufactured by Allergan. It is characterized by increased safety, high efficiency, and long-lasting duration.
The main active ingredient of Botox is the botulinum toxin. It is a dangerous but at the same time efficient substance that has the power to relax the body and facial muscles.
The treatment that involves Botox has two main indications, namely:
- Medical indication;
- Cosmetic indication.
In other words, Botox might be used to treat overactive bladder, lazy eye, neck spasm, excessive sweating, and other muscle-related medical conditions. At the same time, Botox Cosmetic might be applied to take care of vertical lines in a patient’s mouth area, glabellar lines, and other dynamic wrinkles.
A safety note: Just like Juvederm, Botox is a product that is intended for expert use. Therefore, only a licensed medical professional will be able to order it from a reliable supplier and perform the treatment.
Juvederm VS Botox: Similarities and Differences
After going through the detailed overview of Juvederm and Botox, how about discussing the similarities and differences between them? So, let’s delve right in!
Similarities Between Juvederm and Botox
Juvederm and Botox have a wide range of similarities, namely:
- They have the same manufacturer. Due to the fact that both Juvederm and Botox are produced by Allergan, they are beauty products of the same high quality;
- They are used for similar indications. Both Juvederm and Botox aim to substantially rejuvenate and enhance the appearance of a patient;
- They are intended exclusively for professional usage. Juvederm and Botox are intended to be injected exclusively by licensed medical professionals;
- They have a long-lasting (but nevertheless temporary) duration. Unlike plastic surgery, Juvederm and Botox treatments do not provide a patient with a permanent effect.
- They are safe. Neither Juvederm dermal fillers nor Botox products lead to serious complications (still, individual risk factors of each patient should be taken into account).
Differences Between Juvederm and Botox
At the same time, Juvederm and Botox are different in many ways, such as:
- Juvederm fills in the wrinkles while Botox relaxes the muscles and, therefore, reduces the appearance of skin depressions. Juvederm and Botox treatments are based on different active ingredients (namely, hyaluronic acid and botulinum toxin) and therefore have various working principles. The treatment with Juvederm dermal fillers fills skin depressions by accelerating natural collagen production, while the procedure with Botox relaxes a patient’s muscles;
- Juvederm is indicated to treat static wrinkles while Botox aims to take care of the dynamic ones. Despite the fact that both Juvederm and Botox aim to rejuvenate and enhance a patient’s appearance, they deal with different types of wrinkles. While Juvederm is primarily used to treat static skin depressions, Botox is applied to take care of the dynamic ones;
- Juvederm injections might be slightly less painful than Botox procedures (however, it is not a must). Unlike Botox products, most Juvederm dermal fillers have lidocaine in their composition to reduce the injection site pain during the procedure;
- Juvederm offers various solutions for different indications, while the Botox product line is rather limited. Contrary to the limited Botox range that only differs in volume, Juvéderm fillers constitute a wide product line with various aesthetic indications. While some products are intended to lift cheeks, others aim to make forehead lines or acne scars less noticeable;
- Juvederm and Botox might lead to the appearance of different side effects. Symptoms that might be experienced by patients treated with Juvederm dermal fillers and Botox products are also slightly different. While Juvederm primarily causes skin irritation, redness, and swelling at the injection site, Botox might lead to nausea, vomiting, or headaches;
- Juvederm lasts a bit longer than Botox. Both procedures are pretty durable. However, the effect of Juvederm might last up to 18 months, while Botox provides a 6-month result under normal circumstances;
- Juvederm is slightly more expensive than Botox. Despite the fact that you might find clinics that offer both Juvederm and Botox at affordable prices, the treatment with Juvederm dermal fillers tends to have a little higher price tag.
So, What Is Better? Final Words
Based on the above-mentioned comparison of Juvederm and Botox, it is impossible to say what is better, since both treatments have their own peculiarities and indications.
Still, here are some basic statements that might make your choice between Juvederm and Botox easier:
- Consider choosing Juvederm if you want to get rid of static wrinkles (such as the lines at the corners of your mouth or around your cheeks). And vice versa, opt for Botox if your main wish is to reduce the appearance of dynamic wrinkles (like frown lines or crow’s feet);
- Select Juvederm if you do not mind receiving the effect of slightly volumized skin (remember that a dermal filler might add some volume to the area of the treatment). And the other way round, choose Botox if you want your skin to look as natural as possible (but without wrinkles, of course);
- Undergo the Juvederm treatment if you are afraid of pain. Despite the fact that both Juvederm and Botox are injected almost painlessly, the presence of lidocaine in the Juvederm composition might minimize the feeling of discomfort even more;
- Sign up for a Juvederm treatment if you want to achieve a result that will last longer (if compared to Botox). However, don’t forget that you’ll have to pay more for it.
Hopefully, the above-mentioned statements will help you to decide on what product you would like to try, Juvederm or Botox. So, choose the most suitable for you option!
P. S. Remember, there is no “right” or “wrong” choice when opting for Juvederm, Botox, or other beauty products in the sphere of aesthetic medicine and cosmetics. Both products are great, so it is just a matter of your individual preference.