Wearing a bow tie is a great feeling, and you will relate to it if you have ever worn it. It is one of those limited statement pieces that a man can own. Actually, bow ties are something that every man should include in their wardrobe.
If you are someone who wants to explore the fashion related to men’s bow ties, you have come to the right place. This article will discuss the bow tie rules that you need to keep in mind when you wear one next time.
Keep The Attire In Mind
Always keep the attire in mind while wearing a bow tie. Here are some of the tips to follow.
Business outfit. Business casuals generally include loose-fitted trousers paired with a coat or blazer, topped off with a bow or necktie. Sometimes slacks with polo t-shirts also work fine but don’t wear any neckwear with them.
Cocktail attire. Cocktail attire can sometimes be called business or semi-formal attire, where you need to wear a matching suit with a bow tie or necktie.
Black tie. It is best to wear a tuxedo with a bow tie in a contrasting color during events.
White tie. In white tie events, you can wear a white bow tie and other accessories paired along with a tuxedo or tails.
If you are invited to a party, and there is no dress code mentioned, it is best to ask them or wear clean, crisp outfits that go with your personality.
How To Select a Self-tie Bow Tie
Self-tie bow ties come with a range of advantages. These include a never-ending list of fabrics and prints to choose from. Whether you are invited to a party or a date, there’s one bow tie for every occasion.
Like self-tie bow ties, the options are limitless for pre-tied ones. However, to master the art of wearing a bow tie with your outfit is limited. For instance, you wear a navy blue bow tie with a beige-colored shirt.
After completing the first step, getting pro in knotting a self-tie bow tie is important. It’s always special to master the craft of tying a bow tie knot.
Most bow ties available in the market come with the right length. This helps create a relaxed knot that’s comfortable with tying and keeps the bow tie in the right shape.
Shape and size of the bow tie matters
One of the most important questions to ask yourself as a first-time buyer is: what size of bow tie should I get? You do check for sizes when buying jeans, don’t you?
Similarly, you should try different sizes before purchasing a bow tie. Generally, bow ties are available in a range of sizes which may vary depending on brands, but commonly, bow ties are available in three sizes:
- Regular: 14.5-17.5 inches.
- Long: 18-21 inches.
- Extra-long: 21-22.5 inches.
Bow ties are available in numerous styles, including:
- The butterfly. The most typical and most popular is the butterfly-shaped bow tie, which resembles a butterfly’s wings when untied. The butterfly bow ties can be wide in shape.
- The diamond point. Similar to the butterfly ones, this one has pointed ends instead of flat ones, and it is sometimes known as a pointed-tip bow or diamond tip bow tie.
- The batwing. This type of bow tie has straight ends like a butterfly but is very slim as compared to the butterfly bow ties.
- Pre-tied. As the name suggests, pre-tied bow ties are already tied. Pre-tied bow ties save your time, but they miss the magic that the self-tied bow ties offer. Pre-tied bow ties come with adjustable neck straps, so you can adjust them accordingly.
Note: If you are a big and tall guy with a macho personality, it’s best to choose bigger bow ties, while for more subtle guys, you should prefer to go with small bow ties.
Try different combinations
There are an infinite number of possibilities when it comes to pairing bow ties with different outfits. If we take the shirt, for instance, there are more than 10 types of collar options where the most common ones are:
- Wingtip collar. This type of shirt is mostly partnered with tuxedos. Wingtip collared shirts are the most classic style, and you cannot go wrong when you pair them with a bow tie.
- Spread collar. As the name suggests, spread collar shirts have wide collars pointed in the outward direction instead of downwards. If you have a narrow face, a widespread collar works best, and a wider face, people should opt for narrow-spread shirts.
- Pointed collar. A pointed collar shirt is also referred to as a straight point collar, considered the most traditional of all collar types. Such types of shirts look outstanding, appealing, and welcoming.
- Button-down collar. Formerly known as polo collars, button-down collar shirts have collars with small buttons stitched, which might be visible below the bow tie. Youths and teens generally prefer this type of shirt.
Style with different statement pieces
Bow ties itself is a statement piece, but what if you pair them with other accessories? Sounds great! Right? Take your style game to another level by pairing it with the bow tie’s companion: the pocket square.
Try and compliment your bow tie with the pocket square, but don’t wear the exact one; remember that. Imagine yourself wearing a swanky bow tie with a contrasting pocket square, matched with a subtle colored tux and a brand new pair of brown oxfords. Doesn’t it look great? Nowadays, you can even wear a fancy-looking mask for the added style quotient.
Mix and match with colors when styling yourself to appear more positive and optimistic.
As mentioned in the above article, bow ties come in a range of sizes, patterns, designs, and fabrics. You can choose a perfect one according to the occasion, your outfit, and the dress code of the event.
If you are a beginner and want to get the best bow ties at affordable prices at your doorstep – we love Ties.com. They have several types of products, including bow ties, neckties, skinny ties, novelty ties, socks, tie clips, tie bars, wallets, and more. Check out their site to grab your favorite blue bow tie!