Crush Signs: 8 Crystal-Clear Signs Someone Has a Crush On You
Don’t overlook these telltale signs of a crush! They might tell you more than actual words.
Researched, written by Amber & The Team
Updated on November 13, 2023
// We recommend helpful products in our articles. Read our full disclosure here.
“I’ve been noticing some unusual behavior from a friend lately, and I’m curious – how to know if someone has a crush on you?”
Sometimes you can’t help but wonder – why does a particular person act the way he or she acts?
Are they just being weird, or do they actually have a crush on you?
And when you have a crush on someone yourself, you end up thinking about it too.
You wonder if that significant someone notices that you have a crush on them (“Am I being too obvious?”).
And – oh – those butterflies in your stomach!
Looking for signs someone has a crush on you is exciting for sure, but it can also feel a little unclear.
After all, you don’t know exactly how another person feels about you unless he talks to you about it.
You end up questioning everything and feel a tad insecure about the entire situation – which is fine!
None of us was born with mind-reading abilities.
Thankfully, there are a few distinctive, subtle signs that someone has a crush on you, and they’re quite universal.
To help you shine some clarity on your crush dilemma, we did extensive research and completed a list of crush signs that can help you identify the truth.
Is that significant someone crushing you?
Time to find out!
How To Know If Someone Has a Crush On You: 8 Signs To Look For
We’re humans with shared psychology and hormonal systems that make us do what we do.
No matter the situation, age, or gender, there are a few universal crush signs that say more than meets the eye.
They’re in our genes – those invisible rule books of how to procreate (sorry!).
Here’s exactly how to know if someone has a crush on you.
1. You Notice Him or Her Constantly Checking You Out
In real life AND social media, that is.
This is one of the most important signs someone has a crush on you, so it landed right in the first spot on this list.
The way this person reacts to you, both when they meet you in real life and while interacting on social media, is a sure giveaway of their feelings.
Here are some subtle attraction signals you might notice.
- You notice that this person is looking at you often. It might be a daring eye stare, constant glances, or occasional shy peek.
A person with a crush on you finds it hard not to look at you at every possible chance.
- That person constantly leads you with their eyes when you’re speaking, giving presentations, or walking in and out the door. Basically, if you’re at the center of attention, they will be your most loyal watchers.
They will notice when you arrive and leave and pay attention to how well you do, well, everything.
Sometimes – even what you ate for lunch!
- On social media, a person who has a crush on you will surely follow your accounts. You may receive a bundle of likes on Facebook, TikTok or Instagram, too, because a person who has a crush on you will hit that like button no matter what content you share.
Usually, the stronger the crush – the more attention they will pay to your online feeds.
In 2023, this is still a crush sign number #1!
2. Their Body Language Screams “I Like You”
When someone has a crush on you, their body language can give out more information than they would like.
Our body language and gestures give away a ton of information that we aren’t even aware of!
For example, when someone has a crush on you, they might display these physical signs of attraction:
- They might have a hard time keeping or breaking eye contact with you;
- They blush or stutter when chatting to you;
- They try to stand straighter and appear stronger, more seductive, feminine, masculine, or intelligent when you are around (depending on the person);
- They tend to touch their hair a lot;
- They might bite their lips slightly when looking at you;
- Even the position of their feet can be revealing – if your crush has their feet pointed directly at you (without facing outwards), it can also be a subtle crush sign.
Another interesting physiological sign that someone has a crush on you is how their pupils act.
It’s been proven that when people encounter something they really like, their pupils tend to expand and appear larger.
So, the next time you’re trying to read the person in a stare-off, look at their eyes to see if there’s any pupil dilation.
3. They Act Differently Around You
To tell if someone has a crush on you, think about how they act around you and others.
If they have a distinct approach when it comes to friends or relatives, yet become a different person around you, they probably have a crush on you, yes!
First of all – he or she will offer you much more attention and be very attentive to anything you say or do.
They might even become protective of you and try to defend you against other people, especially if you are arguing with someone.
Someone with a crush on you will suddenly perceive you as the funniest and the most adorable person in the universe (including your jokes – they become the most amusing things ever).
Here are some other behavior-related signs someone has a crush on you:
- They might bring you food, small gifts, or souvenirs from their weekend trips;
- They will try to be the center of attention if you’re somewhere around;
- They might appear nervous, clumsy, and even a bit awkward around you.
This is all thanks to the adrenaline rushing through their veins and arousing their nerves;
- They will offer their help without being asked;
- If their love hormones are particularly active, they might even openly flirt with you and use seductive verbal or body language;
- They will show signs of strong emotions like excitement and joy when you’re around.
4. They Try To Be Next To You, Physically
One of the most obvious signs that someone has a crush on you is their effort to be near you as much as possible.
It’s like they’re constantly looking for an excuse to be in your proximity…
Why does that happen?
When we truly like someone, we perceive them almost as our center of gravity, and it is quite natural to move around your crush.
We do that to show our love interest or to enjoy being next to them.
Therefore, a person who has a crush on you may:
- Appear in places where you hang out;
- Try to “accidentally” touch you in social gatherings, or find an appropriate reason to get physical (“Heyyy, have you seen all this cat hair on your sweater?
Here, let me help” – proceeds to clean the sweater).
These accidental touchings release hormones oxytocin and dopamine, which can enhance intricate social activities and speed up couple bonding.
Rest assured that someone who has a crush on you will always find an excellent reason to hug you!
- Try to borrow something from you to have a reason to talk again;
- Try to show you something interesting on their phone.
While some of these crush signs and interactions might be just friendly moves, if these behavior changes become more regular or obvious, they can also show that this person has a crush on you.
5. They Try To Know You Better And Let Everyone Know That You’re The Coolest Person Around
Another sign that tells you a person has a crush on you is that they concentrate on finding as much information about you as possible.
They want to know you and include you in their life as much as possible.
You may notice social crush signs like:
- Asking you questions about the things you like (like food, movies, music, books, hobbies, sports, etc.);
- Constantly admiring you for your skills or accomplishments;
- Happily introducing you to their friends or family members;
- Regularly giving you compliments on everything, starting with your clothes and dressing sense, the way you look, and ending with your “wildly impressive knowledge of cats!”;
- He or she may be trying to become a very good friend to you.
The reason these things happen is that when someone has a crush on you, they’re constructing a romantic mental image about you.
This person considers you’re the coolest person they’ve ever met.
They feel like winners in the lottery, and you’re a big golden prize they’ve been waiting for their whole life!
6. They May Try To Look You In The Eyes… For a Little Longer
Ah, the classic!
Trying to keep eye contact just a little bit longer to send a signal that says, “Hey, I adore you, and this eye contact is an expression of my romantic interest in you.”
Why does it happen?
Psychologists think that when someone has a crush on you, they try to analyze you for crush signs too, and it starts with an attempt to catch your eyes.
How you respond to this prolonged eye contact is a crucial source of information for them!
And while staring at someone can be creepy, if you like the person back – it can be really sweet.
When you catch this kind of behavior (and, yes, it might feel difficult or scary), if you like him or her, you can respond by connecting your eyes and smiling a little.
A mutual gaze will give them a hint that you are feeling the same.
This will boost their confidence to approach you and strengthen your connection.
Expressing feelings is the first step to starting a beautiful relationship or even true, life-long love.
7. They Try To Keep The Conversation Going
Another way to identify that someone has a crush on you is to look for attempts to keep talking, chatting, texting, or messaging each other.
The next time you’re chatting with your possible crush, try to exit the conversation for a short period of time (to check your phone, to go to the bathroom, etc.).
How he or she responds will tell you a lot about their feelings.
- If they look eager to reengage in the conversation as soon as possible – they are interested in you, or at least in what you have to say;
- If they ask if you would like to chat again or mention words like “Can I catch you later?” they look forward to talking to you again.
A person who has a crush on you might also be texting you regularly, messaging you on Messenger or a similar communication channel, or trying to find a reason to call you on the phone.
And finally, don’t ever doubt straightforward words.
If your possible crush tells you they like you, it’s not just a sign that someone has a crush on you – it’s proof!
8. He or She Tries To Look Their Best
Last but not least – the all-time-best sudden glow-ups, makeovers, and other obvious ways to look better.
Let’s admit that not everyone looks their best at all times…
But when people have a crush on someone, they will do their best in hygiene, appearance, and outfit territories.
Here are some appearance-related signs someone has a crush on you.
- Start to look very polished and smooth;
- Try to look their absolute best at any time (you might even catch them rearranging their outfits to remove any wrinkles!);
- Chew minty gum or use breath fresheners often;
- Change or improve their hair, makeup, or skin game;
- Buy new clothes more often;
- Start using more perfume;
- Become more physically prominent in group settings and parties you both go to;
- Start to lose weight or lift weights to gain more muscles.
This is because when someone likes you, they try to impress and seduce you with their physical appearance.
Thankfully, these crush signs are much easier to notice than the bunch we have reviewed before.
Signs Someone Has a Crush On You: Conclusion
So, Crush Or Not?
It is rather entertaining to play a detective and look for any signs someone has a crush on you.
But if you like that person, it might be a good idea to talk and express your interest too.
Sometimes we are not sure if the feelings are mutual and are too afraid even to try expressing our feelings.
Therefore, communication is crucial – especially if you want to skip looking for all these crush signs and know for sure.
“Do you have a crush on me?
Cause I have a crush on YOU.”
And even if your assumptions are wrong…
It’s still better to find it out than keep telling yourself lies.
Being rejected might be painful, but with time, it goes away.
Remind yourself that people have very different preferences.
Even if someone says they are not interested in you romantically, it doesn’t make you less valuable or attractive.
Their taste is just different – that’s it.
No matter who you are or how you look, there’s always someone who will get a crush on you just because you’re their type.
Loved analyzing these crush signs with us?
Scroll down for more content like this!
We strive to use high-quality information and deliver content that is based on science, latest research, comprehensive studies, or expert advice. These reputable sources have influenced or inspired this article:
- Love TM. Oxytocin, motivation and the role of dopamine. Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 2014 Apr;119:49-60. doi: 10.1016/j.pbb.2013.06.011. Epub 2013 Jul 9. PMID: 23850525; PMCID: PMC3877159.
- Bolmont, M., Cacioppo, J. T., & Cacioppo, S. (2014). Love is in the gaze: an eye-tracking study of love and sexual desire. Psychological science, 25(9), 1748–1756. https://doi.org/10.1177/0956797614539706
- Song, S., Zou, Z., Song, H., Wang, Y., d’Oleire Uquillas, F., Wang, H., & Chen, H. (2016). Romantic Love Is Associated with Enhanced Inhibitory Control in an Emotional Stop-Signal Task. Frontiers in psychology, 7, 1574. https://doi.org/10.3389/fpsyg.2016.01574